HABITS THAT SHOW IMPROPER UPBRINGING IN CHILDREN
Manners take you to where your education cannot irrespective of your status, wealth or connection. Children, if not properly groomed, may never get to the top in life.
Carefully go through the list below to see where you may want to make amends, on yourself or the young ones under your care.
1. Do you go to your child’s school dressed indecently? Think again.
2. Do you speak rashly to your child’s teacher?
3. Do you curse, using foul or swear words in front of your children?
4. Do you use makeup on children?
5. Do you dress your children in indecent clothes or allow them to wear such?
6. Do you allow or put earrings on your son’s ears?
7. Does your child hold the cup or glass ware by the brim and you don’t correct him/her?
8. Do your children not greet and you just feel they will come around one day?
9. Do your children eat with their mouth open and you feel they will grow up someday?
10. Do your children bring home something you did not buy and you say nothing?
11. Do they talk back at you and you conclude it’s okay since you are a 21st-century mummy/daddy?
12. Do they interrupt when you are talking with another adult and you think they are bold and clever?
13. Do they exercise authority over their nanny and your domestic staff and you let them be?
14. Do they say things like “My driver is on the way…”?
I do not advocate that children call your domestic staff aunty or brother but calling them their name when they are not young people is not proper either. Prefixing Miss, Mr. or Mrs. will redress the situation.
15. Do your children not say “Thank you” when they have been helped or served something and you are comfortable with that?
16. Can your children not stand other children who are less privileged?
18. Do they pick their nose with their hands?
19. Do they not wash their hands after visiting the restroom?
20. Do your children take things from the fridge without taking permission?
21. Do your children knock on closed doors before they open to come in?
22. Do your children collect from your hands the stuff you bought/bring in as you enter the house?
23. Do your children request for a bribe to carry out their home chores or extra task?
24. Do your children act as if their grandparents irritate them?
25. Have your children learned to get up from the chair for the elderly to sit?
26. Does your child tell a lot of lies?
27. Does your child ask “Who is that?” at a knock on your door instead of “Please, who is there?”
28. Does your child always sit by your guests when they are being served drinks, etc.?
29. Do your children still point their fingers at other people?
30. Do your children (aged 4 and above) play and jump around when prayers are going on?