Everyone knows that going on regular dates is key to a happy and healthy marriage. Why? Because couples need alone time. Time to be husband and wife – not mom or dad, dentist, HR director, PTA member, or fire chief.
However, this article isn’t about the importance of dating… it’s about one little thing that will make your date nights something to get excited about, something to get ready for, and something to talk about for weeks and months to come!
What will make your dates something to get excited about? This one little secret…
You should still ASK your spouse out on dates.
Yes, you should ASK them out. This simple gesture of asking your spouse out makes the date feel a bit more official, and requires that you put a bit more effort into it. Plus, it will definitely go far in winning his or her affection, rekindling those butterfly feelings, and helping you cultivate a greater love and friendship with each other.
While it may feel a bit awkward at first, asking your spouse out (and getting asked out in return!) can quickly become something you look forward to. So, to jump start your next date, here are a couple of simple and creative ways you can ask your husband or wife out.
1. Call him on the phone (even if he is in the room next to you). Ask him about his day, and then say something like, “I got tickets to this (insert favorite band here) concert for Friday, and I was wondering if you would like to go with me and then grab some dessert after…It starts at 7pm, so dress casual and be ready by 6:00pm.”
2. Leave her a note on her pillow or on the seat of her car, simply asking her out and telling her how much you love spending time with her. If your doing a date-in, simply invite her to a lovely candlelight dinner at home, and rename your house some kind of fancy restaurant name. For example, if your last name is Thompson, you could invite her to a dinner for two at the Thomson Grill, with a Redbox and Ben & Jerry’s to follow. She will be thrilled.
3. Send him an invite in the mail to either your home address or his work address. Kind of cheesy, but you can bet that when he checks the mail, he is going to be pretty excited to see that something other than a bill came for him. Maybe even include the tickets you purchased, and spray the envelope with perfume…Just trying to nurture romance here, folks.
4. Text or email her. This may not be the most romantic option, but you can still make it romantic if you say the right things. Just imagination how fun and flirtatious your conversation could be.
husband: Hey babe, are you available Saturday night at 6:30pm?
husband: Will you go dancing with me? And grab Chipotle with me after? And then of course we could spend some time making out in the car at our favorite look-out spot.
wife: I’m in. You’re paying? 😉
husband: Great. I’ll be counting down the hours until we get to dance the night away.
wife: You are a crazy romantic, and a little over-the-top, but I kind of like it.
husband: Good, because you’re stuck with me.
wife: Well then, I’ll see you Saturday…actually, I’ll see you tonight. 🙂 xoxo
5. Ask him face to face. This is always fun as long as you make sure and throw in a little physical affection. Wrap your arms around his neck and ask him out. Or take his hands and dance around the kitchen with him before you ask him about going out with you on Saturday. Or for bonus points, you could always pick up his favorite treat, or favorite box of cereal, and give it to him while you ask him out – face to face.
Asking your spouse on dates every week, or every other week, will help you two rekindle romance, try new things together, and enjoy much needed time to talk, laugh, and relish each other’s company. So, go ask your husband or wife out, and then tell us about how you asked them in the comments below!