40 COMPLIMENTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY REALLY INSULTING
Are you guilty of saying any of these?
Everyone loves a compliment, but did you know that many of your compliments can actually backfire without you knowing? Here is a list of very common “compliments” that can make even the most confident person question themselves.
- “How are you still single?”
Is being single such a bad thing?
2.”You look a lot better in person”
So I take it I’m not as appealing in my Instagram photos?
- Anything that ends in “for a boy” or “for a girl”
Don’t base someone’s abilities on their gender.
- “I love how you are confident enough to not care what you look like”
In other words, I look like a train wreck.
- “You look nothing like your pictures”
Is that good or bad?
- “You should wear your contacts instead of your glasses”
So I don’t look good when I wear my glasses?
- “Did you lose weight? You look great!”
What did you think of me before?
8.”You’re so great, I need to marry someone like you”
waves Why not just marry me?
- “I didn’t think your baby would be this cute!”
I mean, I’m happy my baby is cute, but what does that mean about me?
- “Your kids get that from you”
Thanks for noticing.
- “If I were in your shoes, I would lose my mind!”
In other words, you’re saying that my life is horrible.
- “You act so young for your age”
Translation: You’re immature.
- “I’m so glad you got a real job”
Working sixty hours a week before didn’t qualify as a job?z
- “What are you going to do with THAT degree?”
Translation: Your degree is worthless.
- “Bless your heart”
In other words: I hope you are blessed because that’s the only thing that can help you.
- “I think you would look better with (blonde, brunette, short) hair”
What is wrong with my hair right now?
- “Wow, you were hungry!”
I was, actually, but you don’t have to comment on how much I ate.
- “You look better when you wear makeup”
So I look awful without any makeup.
- “Your style is so unique”
- “You’re so cool, you’re practically one of the guys!”
I’m a girl, in case you didn’t notice.
- “You look great, what have you been doing differently?”
So, did I look terrible before?
- “You are so much better looking than you were in high school”
Thanks, I guess?
- “I could never pull that outfit off”
Another way of saying that my outfit is hideous.
- “Your children are so full of energy!”
By “energy,” do you mean they’re obnoxious?
- “You don’t look old enough to do that”
Do I need to show proof of identification?
- “You have such a pretty face”
What about the rest of me?
- “You’re smarter than you look”
Sorry I don’t always carry an encyclopedia on me.
- “You’ve aged so well!”
Nobody wants to be reminded of how old they are after 29.
- “You should get some sun”
Am I too pale? Do I look sick?
- “You can come if you want”
Which means: You’re not really invited, but I guess you can come.
- “You should smile more”
If I smiled all the time, my face would probably break.
- “It looks like you got some sleep”
How long have I been walking around with bags under my eyes?
- “You look really good today!”
What is different about today?
- “I definitely underestimated you”
Did you think I was unimpressive or something?
- “I had no idea you were so funny”
Did you think I was boring?
- “I wish I could be as bubbly as you”
Translation: You are really obnoxious.
- “You’re lucky you don’t have to deal with responsibilities”
I do, actually. Thanks for noticing.
- “That is just so like you”
I don’t think it is, to be honest.
- “I didn’t realize you were so talented”
What did you think I did in my spare time?
- Anything that starts with “Don’t take this the wrong way, but … “
Anyone is going to take it the wrong way if you have to warn them before you speak.